Over the last couple of years, I've been on a slow journey of rediscovering who God really is. What He has shown me, and is continuing to show me, is too much to keep to myself. So I am starting this blog. I can't promise that anything that I post will be mind-blowing, nor do I want this to be about me. I simply want this to be a place, where I can share with others what an amazing God I serve and what He is revealing to me, about Himself.
Last night I went to the youth group at my church. Granted, I'm a little old for youth group, but over the past couple of weeks I think God has been telling me that I need to go and help pour into the lives of the youth at my church, even though I still have a lot to learn. I think there was an additional reason that He wanted me there last night. The teaching was on the passage of scripture where Jesus goes into the temple and drives out the people doing business. Our assistant pastor talked about how Israel had forgotten God and was defiling this sacred place, turning it into a market instead of a holy place where they could meet with God. This is analogous to us when we pursue worldly things instead of pursuing the things of God. We have all probably heard this message or one similar many times. What caught my attention was something he said at the end... He said "I'm sure many of you have heard this phrase numerous times before. I want you to know that it is false." "Have you ever heard anyone say 'God just wants to give you the free gift of salvation? You don't have to pay anything, it's completely free." "That's not true. It cost God sending His Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross. And it costs you, your whole life. When you say 'Yes, Jesus come into my life and make me new,' you are surrendering your life to Him. It is no longer yours. That is what salvation costs you."
Simple right? Yet, this almost left me dumbfounded. I know it may seem to be a fundamental part of following Jesus, but I think so many people miss the true meaning of what it is to follow Him. I know I did. Sure I had heard the whole "you have to surrender your life" part before, but never in connection to understanding the cost of salvation. As I was sitting there, the verses from Luke 14 about counting the cost came to mind and I realized that I understood them in a whole new light.
Luke 14:25-33 "25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. 28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’ 31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples."
I believe God used all of this to stop me, and make me fully realize, maybe for the first time, that my life is not my own. It excites and fills me with joy, while at the same time it gives me peace, that I can honestly say, that I have counted the cost and am more than willing to pay the price. My life, and all that I have and ever will have, are His, from now until eternity.
No comments:
Post a Comment